Six months ago I was encouraged by a close friend to blog. “About what?” I asked her. I had so many strong opinions and insights on random things that she said it did not matter and to just pick something. It seemed so pointless to me. Why blog unless I had a real, useful purpose? I was just living life, raising children and trying to manage a busy household. It had been 20 years since I had been teaching high school history & economics and being a stay at home mom just did not leave me to blog about anything unique that hadn’t already been covered by someone else. I felt that I had no expertise in anything that trumped the blogs that already existed. That was the end of that discussion.
Three months ago I began my new career as a Medi Weight Loss Counselor. It is the perfect job for me because I am such a food nazi. I thrive on meeting new people and love the challenge that comes with helping people eat healthier and lose weight. The De Pere Medi clinic was the first Medi Weight Loss Clinic in Wisconsin. Those first three months were very busy establishing a clinic routine, learning to use electronic medical records and just figuring out about our patients’ needs, strengths, and weaknesses.
As a become more settled in my job I saw a very clear purpose for a blog.
1. I was learning so many insightful pieces of knowledge about the ketogenic diet, and I wanted to share them with as many of our patients as I could. This blog allows me to post links and video clips that will educate and enlighten others on the latest, greatest health information.
2. There was a great need for women to feel a sense of commonality with their struggles. So many women were excelling in other parts of their lives and yet their weight was allowing them to feel like a failure. They needed lots of positive reinforcement and a feeling that they were not alone. This blog allows comments to my posts and those comments will give women a platform to express themselves and not feel alone in their weight struggles.
3. My weight loss patients started to view me as a counselor without weight struggles or that I had “arrived” at the end goal and my fight with weight was over. NOTHING could be further from the truth! Perhaps if I debunked that and allowed them into my inner struggles they would feel a sense of sisterhood with me. This blog will show that I am NOT perfect and I, too, struggle. Take note of this post’s title quote!
4. Often my patients ask me questions about what would I buy? What do I eat? What do I feed my kids? Where do I shop? Where did you get that cute outfit? What would I choose to do in a certain situation? This blog will answer those kind of questions and allow others to glean from what I do or not do.
5. And just maybe this can be a place for women to go to when they have that urge to eat but are not hungry. This blog can be a distraction to those urges and give them support outside of a clinic visit.
6. We are always trying new products, promotions and new ideas at De Pere Medi Weight Loss. This blog will help spread that news to everyone who may not see it when they come to the clinic for their weekly visit.
Thus… my blog THE SISTERHOOD OF TRAVELING THINSPIRATION is born!
My ultimate goal is to create a sisterhood of ladies from all over northeast WI, from different families with different body shapes and lots of imperfections but still wear the same “magical”pants that make us feel happy, confident and secure in ourselves. We will look to each other for thin-spiration. As always, a journey is always more fun when you have friends to ride along.
Our Journey Begins…..